Broads River Cruise TO SOMERLEYTON
£30.00 Per Person | £27.00 Children & Seniors
Slow Boat Trip
Yacht Station | Oulton Broad
3 Hrs Approx
All Weather Running*
Join us for a peaceful boat trip from Oulton Broad to Somerleyton, before stopping at Somerleyton for an hour, followed by the return boat journey. This boat trip gives you the chance to see some of the hidden beauty of the Southern Broads National Park, including the River Waveney, Oulton Dyke and Oulton Broad, along with exploring the beautiful village of Somerleyton.
This boat trip, primarily on the River Waveney, gives way to some spectacular views, including fens and marshes along with the wildlife, including Marsh Harriers, teals, kestrels and hobbies, that call them home. It is a unique and interest wildlife/nature boat trip, where you can truly immerse yourself and forget about reality in this tucked away, untouched beauty.
Initially departing Oulton Broad, you will pass Carlton Marshes, a Suffolk Wildlife Trust managed nature reserve and home to a huge array of wildlife. As we head up Oulton Dyke, we’ll enter the River Waveney, of which the border of Norfolk – Suffolk follows. As we head up the Waveney, keep your eyes peeled for marsh harriers and kestrels, along with plenty of ducks and geese. The Broads are also home to a huge array of unique dragon-flies and butterflies. Look out for old mills, some of which are still in operation for drainage across the Broads before we pass underneath the 1905 built Somerleyton Swing Bridge, one of only 4 remaining railway bridges on the Broads, which carries the railway from Lowestoft to Norwich.
We’ll then arrive at Somerleyton, home to Somerleyton Hall, a famous Victorian mansion currently lived in by the Lord and Lady of Somerleyton. Somerleyton is also where the Christopher Cockerell invented and tested the worlds first Hovercraft in the 1950s.
Disembarking, take the approx 5 minute walk to the dog friendly Dukes Head Pub, for some excellent food, grab coffee in the village or go for a wander seeing what wildlife you can spot. The village itself has a very traditional feel and is very picturesque. The choice is yours. After an hour, return to the boat for the return journey to Oulton Broad.
- Departure from our berth at Oulton Broad Yacht Station
- Gentle cruise through Oulton Broad and up Oulton Dyke, passing Carlton Marshes and Dutch Tea Gardens
- Enter the River Waveney, cruising downstream through the marshes
- Pass underneath Somerleyton Swing Bridge before berthing at Somerleyton
- An hour in Somerleyton exploring, grabbing a bite or coffee
- Return boat journey to Oulton Broad
Important Things To Know
- This is a slow leisurely guided river cruise
- This boat trip is limited to the Broads southern river network
- This trip includes an hour ashore where you can freely explore the village of Somerleyton
- This trip can be offered in all weathers*
- See here for how to find us: https://www.jetadventures.co.uk/find-us/#find-oulton-broad
*All Weather Running means we are able to run this trip in conditions otherwise not suitable for our trips out to sea. However, in certain extreme situations certain weather conditions will prevent us being able to safely run this trip.