Our Wildlife Boat Trips to see Cetacean’s (Whales, Dolphins & Porpoises)
CETACEAN BOAT TRIPS
As this trip is run at short notice, please sign up to our mailing list to hear when we next run it!
Fast Boat Trip
South Pier | Lowestoft
3 Hrs 45 Mins Approx
A unique, one of its kind wildlife boat trip, offering the chance to search for and find cetaceans and interesting sea birds off of the Norfolk and Suffolk coastline.
We head out to sea (approx 10 nautical miles) from Lowestoft and travel parallel with the coast for up to 25 nautical miles trying to spot species of interest which could be fin or humpback whales, bottlenose or white beaked dolphins or harbour porpoises alongside skuas and shearwaters.
We aim to spot and record sightings of whales, dolphins and porpoises (known as cetaceans) and sea birds. We report that we’ve done a search and any sightings to the Sea Watch Foundation https://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk and you can too.
In the autumn, whales move south following shoals of herring – we rely on reports of sightings from local fishermen so trips may be organised at short notice and are likely to be about 3 hours. Not for the fainthearted – the weather in the autumn can be cold and trips can be wet!
Please visit our Sign Ups page to register your interest in being on the next trip.
- Departure from our berth at the Heritage Quay, South Pier
- Through the yacht basin and out to sea past the pier heads
- Head east (out to sea) for around 10 Nautical Miles (NMI)
- Travel parallel with the coast for around 25 Nautical Miles, looking out for fin or humpback whales; bottlenose or white-beaked dolphins; harbour porpoises alongside skuas and shearwaters.
- Return journey to Lowestoft Harbour, Suffolk
Important Things To Know
- This is a fast open boat trip
- This trip goes out to sea
- The trip is weather dependent and offered on a casual basis as and when
- You may get very wet and cold and are advised wear layers and bring waterproofs (or you can borrow our waterproofs for free!)
- This is a long expeditionary style boat trip
- See here for how to find us: https://www.jetadventures.co.uk/find-us/#find-lowestoft
Updates – we’ll post here whenever we do one of these trips so you can see our sightings:
Wednesday 22nd September 2021 – Headed SE from Lowestoft, then north and back via Scroby Sands. Saw lots of seals and many different sea birds but no cetaceans this trip
*Weather Dependent means we require favorable weather conditions in order for the trip to be comfortable for passengers. This is normally determined by the wind speed/direction. If we think weather may be a problem, this will be communicated to you ASAP.